ChatGPT is big news. For years we’ve been waiting on AI to significantly impact the way we do things, solve problems, help us learn. Now its available all the focus is on how students will use it to cheat. Stopping students using the service is a short term knee jerk reaction to how we deal with the AI. We need to be smarter. The are many options available to us, banning shouldn’t be one.
Remember when typewriters, calculators, computers, smart phones & watches, spell and grammar checkers, and Google arrived we also went into shock. Each of these technologies infringed on the educational status quo, yet teachers managed to make it work.
What is being overlooked is the enormous benefit AI offers teachers. It will transform the classroom experience.
Teachers, Careers Advisers, Wellness Counsellors need support, ideas, suggestions on student engagement, making lessons interesting, how to better teach subjects and much more. If you’re in a rut and looking for ideas ChatGPT will help you make your lessons exciting for both you and your students.
So let’s ask ChatGPT, “I’m a high school career adviser. How do I make my lessons more relevant and engaging for teenage students?
Chat’s response, “here are some ways to make your career lessons more relevant and engaging for teenage students”.
- Use real-world examples and case studies: Share stories of successful professionals in different fields and the paths they took to get there. This will help students see the relevance of what they are learning and how it applies to their future careers.
- Incorporate hands-on activities and group projects: For example, have students conduct mock job interviews or create a business plan for a fictional company. These activities will make the material more engaging and help students apply what they are learning in a practical way.
- Make connections to current events and popular culture: For example, you could discuss how the current job market is affected by the pandemic, or how a current movie or TV show relates to a career field. This will help students see the relevance of what they are learning and keep them engaged.
- Encourage student participation and discussion: Ask open-ended questions and create opportunities for students to share their thoughts and opinions. This will help students feel more invested in the material and will also make the class more interactive and engaging.
- Tailor the content to their age and interests: Use examples and case studies that are relatable to their life stage and interests. This will help students connect with the material and see the relevance of what they are learning.
- Provide guidance and support, not just information: Help students understand how they can apply what they learn in class to the real world and support them in their career exploration.
Give it a go, it will be your online personal assistant and if you get really good at asking questions, AI calls them prompts, you can get a job as Prompt Engineer, they’re in demand, look it up! Click to start ChatGPS.